Sunday, June 26, 2011

cravings for payesh


Today I had some serious craving for payesh, rice pudding from Bangladesh. Payesh is normally cooked with cardamons and pistachios. Since both cardamons and pistachios were not available at home I had to make do with what was available. 

Making rice pudding takes a lot of patience as the cooking time is rather long. I started by mixing evaporated milk and condensed milk. Then I added the rice and 1 cup of water to the milk. The mixture needs to be cooked in slow heat for at least an hour and a half or sometimes two hours. You also have to constantly stir the mixture for so the rice and milk will not burn. I had to stir the mixture every 5 minutes for the next 2 hours. 

Once the pudding is cooked, I added the grated lemon rind and 3 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice. I used lemon for flavor so the pudding will not be too sweet. For toppings I used pili and walnuts. You can also add raisins or any other dried fruit for flavor. The pudding was good with some lemon green tea.



No comments:

Post a Comment